Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lab3: Neogeography


View My Hong Kong - GEO 7 Lab3 in a larger map

For this lab, I constructed a map of various landmarks in Hong Kong. By landmarks, however, I mean places that carry a lot of sentimental value for me rather than places that a tourist would probably visit. I chose this as the theme for my map because, strangely enough, I am starting to get a little homesick my fourth week in. Even stranger yet, I do not miss Belmont, California nearly as much as I miss Hong Kong. This map really puts into perspective the radically different lifestyles I grown accustomed to, as the urban bustle of Hong Kong is nothing like the suburban tranquility of Belmont. Despite its superior public transportation system, going to a friend's house in Belmont would be the equivalent of a day trip in Hong Kong.

Neogeography, as I have discovered in this assignment, can be a lot of fun. It lets ordinary people share their perspectives and views on places others would normally overlook. One website that uses neogeography extensively is Yelp. Yelp is a website that my mom and I, among countless others, use to find reviews of local businesses. The denizens of Yelp review everything, ranging from barbershops to restaurants. In this instance of neogeography, a personal touch is added to a normally inanimate map.

However, despite the known potential of neogeography, there is another side to the story. Neogeography, since it is open to the public, poses a possible threat. If everyone is able to edit a map, it is virtually impossible to verify its accuracy and corroborate its source. Additionally, with neogeography open to the public, the objective aspect of a map is no longer exists, as it is now based on the opinion of an individual. Thus, the accuracy of the map is once again up for debate. Despite these pitfalls, neogeography has the potential to become an integral part of our everyday lives - it already has with Yelp.

No comments:

Post a Comment